Shark Fin Ban in Montreal & Canada
As humans, we are pushing sharks to the brink of extinction. Please help us act to save the sharks.
At Action Scuba, we understand that as apex predators, sharks play a critical role in maintaining the health and balance of our oceans and marine eco-systems.
Through overfishing we are systematically pushing these creatures to the brink of extinction. Worse, we doing it largely through the inhumane and barbaric practice of removing fins from sharks while they are still alive.
We believe that by reducing the demand for shark fin products, we will be able to drastically reduce the number of illegal shark finning operations. WIthout demand, there will be no financial reward for brutally finning and killing sharks in unsustainanble numbers.
We support the work of Project AWARE to bring about management and control of this practice.
We are also working with the Human Society International / Canada to support MP Fin Donnelly`s BIll C-380 to ban the import of shark fins into Canada. This ban would have an important impact on the global shark fin market and would send a clear message to other nations that Canadians care about the world’s sharks and our oceans.
We are also calling the on the City of Montreal to join other enlightened cities across Canada and North America in banning the sale and trade of shark fin products.
What you can do to help:
- Avoid restaurants that sell shark fin soup. See a list here
- Educate your friends and family about the reality of shark finning and the importance of sharks. Need help? Ask about our Aware Shark Conservation Diver Course. We will happily come give the non-diver version of the course to students and organisations for free.
- Support Federal Member of Parliament Fin Donnelly’s Bill C-380 to ban the import of shark fins into Canada. Drop by and sign the petition in store, or ask us for a copy to collect signatures within your own network. Note that physical signatures are required in the Canadian parliament.
- Sign our petition to ban the trade of shark fins in Montreal
Other Sources of Information for you:
- Project AWARE – www.projectaware.org
- United Conservationists – http://www.unitedconservationists.org
- Sharkwater – www.sharkwater.com
- Humane Society International / Canada) - http://www.hsi.org/world/canada/work/shark_finning/facts/stop_shark_finning_canada.html
|Save $99 by signing up for your Open Water and Advanced Open Water together||any time||$659||
|Save $200 by signing up for your Premium Open Water and Premium Advanced Open Water courses together||any time||$998||
|Save $40 on your PADI Enriched Air (Nitrox) course by adding it to your Open Water, Advanced or Rescue course||any time||$149||
|Get a $25 Action Scuba gift certificate when you refer a new student!||any time||FREE||
|Save $199 when you buy a drysuit priced over $1000 from Action Scuba - get the PADI Drysuit Diver course for FREE||any time||FREE||
|Go Pro and save up to $1600! Get the Action Scuba Elite Instructor program from Divemaster to Instructor plus tons of extras||any time||$2599||
|Save up to $720 as you become a Master Scuba Diver. Book 5 PADI specialties and get ALL boat dives FREE||any time||FREE||